This is about RENTING the Lost Dutchman’s Gold Mine exercise for a single large event.
It has to be the Best Value Ever for such a situation.
It is common for my network of users to run highly interactive experiential team building events with very large groups of 200 people or more. Presenters purchasing Dutchman have the goal of doing events over time and making money from supporting performance improvement initiatives and we have supported people in this business for 25 years.
Dutchman is one of the very best games on Earth focused on organizational culture change through collaboration and alignment to shared goals and visions. It is a game designed for debriefing, with measured results and outcomes focused on optimization of overall results. (We have user surveys that are highly supportive of this view.)
We designed it to scale up for large groups and events from the very beginning, for it to be very straightforward to deliver and debrief and to generate significant positive outcomes.
Originally developed in 1993, The Search for The Lost Dutchman’s Gold Mine team building exercise has been polished and fine-tuned to generate active involvement and alignment to key issues around leadership, teamwork and communications, with a major focus on collaboration between teams.
It has developed into a very unique program, delivered worldwide by consultants and trainers, some of whom have run more than 30,000 people through the exercise or who have used it for more than 20 years.
I will share some links to user-generated video testimonials at the end. What I wanted to accomplish here is to show you why the RENTAL of this exercise would make very good sense for your next large team building event. This is a full-blown business simulation with measured results and exceptionally clear debriefing frameworks unlike most things in the marketplace. This is something that YOU can deliver with our free support; the reality is that few people who get our delivery and support materials find it necessary to contact me for free support, which I would prefer they do so I can confirm some details. And it IS free!
You will not be able to approach the low cost or the high likely impacts of such an event on the culture of your organization and the links to themes of alignment to shared values or to strategy implementations and communications.
This is fun, and easy to deliver. But it is an extraordinarily powerful team building event, one that can change the levels of collaboration within large organizations.
Why rent the game?
- Very LOW per-participant costs as viewed against the marketplace
- Very HIGH probability of reaching your desired outcomes of improving teamwork
- Very HIGH likelihood of any negative outcomes or problems from a very controllable timeline for delivery and environmental issues.
- There is no need to hire an outside facilitator and it is often better when one of your actual leaders plays the role of Expedition Leader.
- There is no certification fee or licensing fee or per participant costs and ALL the necessary training materials are included with the rental, plus there is free direct support from ME, the developer of the exercise!
- There are no long-term obligations or annual fees, but you DO have the option to purchase a version of the exercise for future use at a discounted fee.
The Benefits of Playing with a large group
- Very few simulations support large groups of people and are easy to deliver
- There are no “winners” and every team’s results count toward the goal of, “mining as much Gold as WE can.
- Just as there are no winners, there are also no losers. Each and every team contributes to the overall results (as they do in the real world) and all the teams are engaged and have fun. These factors make the debriefing more engaging and all players are much more likely to be actively involved in tabletop and group discussions.
- Some teams are more successful than others and you can talk about the underlying reasons for those successes as well as question them as to why they chose not to help some of the underperforming teams. It is a realistic but extraordinarily powerful dynamic for workplace improvement.
- Debriefing is structured for tabletop discussions around issues and opportunities, and there can be sharing of key ideas if desired.
- Ideas about improvements and implementation are a natural part of the discussion process and these ideas can easily be incorporated into strategic and communications plans.
- Teams very often do not ask for any help or assistance of the Expedition Leadership team, which is a fundamental reality in most organizations. It is a really good connection to issues like Selfless Leadership and to overall organizational cultures. We generally want players to ask the leadership team when they can benefit by that help, right?
Here is a matrix offering prices — yes, we do publish actual prices! — and some thoughts on needed support based on number of tabletops of 6 people each. Please note that we have released the new, virtual version of the exercise and we will be raising prices sometime in 2022 so, “prices may change without notice.” It is still an awesome value, regardless of price. The rental version comes with FULL support from me (and others).
If you are running a very large program, we can also support that, but we generally suggest that Expedition Leaders do have some prior experience in running Dutchman teambuilding games.
Our preference would be that you have already played through a delivery. Often, for very large deliveries of 250+ players, we suggest you first run an exercise specifically for the senior leadership team as a planning and team building program.
Those senior managers then form the basis of your delivery team for your larger session. You can give them special nice white hats and all those kinds of things and their active participation will greatly increase the likelihood of them following up and implementing the best ideas. You can read more about these ideas in this blog post. We would package and price those frameworks on a special basis, so ask us for details if that represents an opportunity.
The largest delivery for one group at one time in one room was 870 players!
The above chart is for illustrative purposes only, insofar as how to staff the delivery support. The price is inclusive of all necessary delivery materials – you get what you need to deliver the program one time, plus extensive training and support materials. Online and telephone support is free!
Optional accessories like hats and bandannas can be purchased separately through other vendors.
You are not purchasing the game for continued use and all rights regarding the Intellectual Property remain with Performance Management Company. You are acquiring the materials for a single session (plus any training of support staff) and ALL materials must be returned to PMC immediately after delivery. Purchasing options are also available, since this exercise is outstanding to integrate to ongoing team development and leadership training.
For the FUN of It!
Dr. Scott Simmerman is a designer of team building games and organization improvement tools.
Managing Partner of Performance Management Company since 1984, he is an experienced presenter and consultant who is trying to retire!! He now lives in Cuenca, Ecuador.
You can reach Scott at email@example.com
Learn more about Scott at his LinkedIn site.
Here is a 2-minute overview of the virtual team building game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE6gDtZymwk